Rutgers University Office of Financial Aid width=
Mission Statement

Direct Loan Entrance
Financial Management
Online Services

Connect With the
Office of Financial Aid
facebook   twitter

To protect your privacy do not
post your email address,
telephone number, Social
Security Number or RUID
on social media sites.

Academic Progress for Financial Aid
What is Academic Progress?

Academic Progress is a requirement for all students receiving Federal, State, or University assistance while enrolled at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.

Financial aid recipients must meet both a "qualitative" and a "quantitative" standard to maintain eligibility for aid. The qualitative standard is determined by the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) at a specific grade level. The quantitative standard is based on a student's completion rate, or the successful completion of a minimum number of credits of the total credits attempted for each term of attendance at the University.

Student’s completion rate is calculated in the following manner:

RU completed credits + accepted transfer credits / RU attempted credits + accepted transfer credits

For example: from the Academic Status Table below, a junior is expected to have attained a 2.0 GPA and completed at least 60 percent of attempted credits.

Aid Programs Affected by Academic Progress
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal William D. Ford Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal Parent Loan (PLUS)
  • New Jersey State Programs
    • Tuition Aid Grant (TAG)
    • Distinguished Scholarships
    • Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF)
    • NJCLASS Loans
  • University Grants and Scholarships
Determination of Eligibility

The following rules will be used to determine eligibility:
  • The Office of Financial Aid measures Academic Progress at the end of the Spring semester of a full academic year.
  • If you are re-admitted to Rutgers, your Academic Progress will be evaluated before you are awarded financial aid. If you are not making satisfactory Academic Progress, you will not qualify for financial aid.
  • All terms of enrollment at Rutgers - including Summer and Winter sessions - are included in the measurement.
  • Your entire academic record is included in the determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress, whether or not you received aid.
  • Credits transferred in from another institution will be added to both the total attempted and completed credits. Similarly, Advanced Placement credits will be added to both the total attempted and completed credits.
  • Federal Student Aid will pay for a maximum of 30 remedial credits (excluding ESL courses).
  • All students are subject to Federal, State, and University limits on the total number of terms they may receive aid, including aid received outside Rutgers University.
  • Incomplete and withdrawal grades do not earn credits to meet the academic standard or influence the GPA in the term the course was attempted. However, they are counted as attempted credits. Repeated courses will count as part of the attempted credits but will not be duplicated in the completed credits.
  • You must make satisfactory progress toward a degree and meet the minimum cumulative GPA required by your college of enrollment.
  • If you do not meet the minimal standards, you will be deemed ineligible for aid for any future terms unless you successfully appeal this determination. (See "Financial Aid Probation" below.)
Academic Status Table
If Cumulative
Percentage Rate of
Cumulative Attempted
Credits Completed
Must Be
Cumulative GPA
(standard calculation)
1-30 50% 1.50
31-59 60% 1.80
60-89 70% 2.00
90 and over 75% 2.00

Financial Aid Probation

You may appeal for a probationary period of financial aid eligibility if you fall below the minimum credit completion rate and/or cumulative GPA. The appeal will require an academic plan constructed by your Dean or Academic Advisor. The academic plan will ensure that you are able to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards by a specific point in time. However, if it is determined that mathematically you cannot regain compliance with SAP requirements you will no longer be eligible for financial aid unless you later come back into standard. If approved, your probation period will begin with your next semester of attendance, and you may continue to receive aid while on probation as long as you meet the terms of the plan.

To begin the appeal process, complete an "Appeal for Financial Aid Probation" form, which you may obtain from Prepare a statement explaining: (1) extenuating circumstance(s) that caused your completion rate and/or GPA deficiency; and (2) changes to your situation that will allow you to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress going forward. Submit the form and statement to your Advisor within 30 days of receiving your Academic Progress ineligibility notice from the Office of Financial Aid. **

** Students enrolled in the School of Arts and Sciences in New Brunswick must submit their appeal forms no later than October 1st

If your Advisor approves your appeal, then your financial aid will be approved initially for the first term, and then for subsequent terms during the probation period upon review of your progress at the end of the previous term. Failure to meet any of the terms of your academic plan will result in the immediate loss of your aid eligibility.

Students who fail their plan due to a death in the immediate family or a documentable medical condition that caused the student to be unable to conform to the terms of the academic plan, will be permitted to obtain a new plan. The new plan will only allow the student one additional term at the end of the academic plan if they successfully appeal. A student with a pre-existing condition will not be eligible for an extension. Additionally, a student who successfully completes the terms of their academic plan and regains SAP status, but who later fails to meet SAP again, will be eligible for a new plan. In all cases, the student must meet again with their academic advisor or Dean for the new plan.

Maximum Time Frame for Completion

Students cannot receive financial aid for credits in excess of 150% of the required credits for graduation in their degree program. (This is equivalent to 12 fulltime terms in most degree programs.) For example: if your program requires 120 credits for graduation, you may not receive aid for more than 180 attempted credit hours (120 x 150%). This policy is in effect even if you change your major or are pursuing a second baccalaureate degree.

If you exceed the maximum time frame, you may appeal to your Regional Director of Financial Aid for a one-time extension of aid eligibility only if you are within 24 credits of completing your degree program and meeting the minimum GPA (2.0) standards.

You will be limited to one maximum time frame appeal.

Student Responsibilities

If your appeal for financial aid probation is not approved, you fail to meet the requirements of your approved academic plan, or you choose not to appeal, then you must make alternative arrangements to finance your education until the deficit(s) has been corrected. You may choose to apply for a private loan during this period, as some lenders allow students who are not making satisfactory academic progress to borrow from their educational loan programs. For more information, please visit

Payment plans are also available through of Student Accounting Office. For more information about payment plans,

Student Responsibilities
  • Monitor academic progress as it relates to maintaining aid eligibility. The Office of Financial Aid assists by annually measuring progress for aid recipients and notifying students who have not met the minimum standards for continued eligibility.
  • Notify the Office of Financial Aid of a grade change made after the official posting for any semester.
  • Contact the Office of the Registrar if you discover discrepancies on your academic transcript.
Rutgers UniversityCamdenNewarkNew BrunswickRBHSContact OFA