Entrance Counseling
Financial Management
Online Services

Connect With the
Office of Financial Aid
facebook   twitter
To protect your privacy do not
post your email address,
telephone number, Social
Security Number or RUID
on social media sites.

Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the question to view the answer.
Do I need a separate application for a Federal Direct student Loan? For a Parent or Graduate PLUS Loan?
You only need to submit a FAFSA to be considered for a Direct Student Loan. After eligibility is determined, you will be notified to complete a master promissory note at studentloans.gov

If you are a parent of an undergraduate student or a graduate student and would like to apply for a Direct PLUS or Graduate PLUS, applications are available at studentloans.gov
What forms do I need to complete to apply for financial aid?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Paper copies are available at your high school guidance office, one of the regional financial aid offices at Rutgers, or by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center toll-free at 1-800-4FEDAID. The FAFSA cannot be completed before January 1 of the year during which you plan to attend Rutgers.
How often do I apply for financial aid?
The FAFSA is valid for one year (July 1 through June 30), so it is necessary to reapply each year.
What is the FAFSA Title IV Code for Rutgers?
What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?
To be considered for all financial aid funds, your FAFSA must be received by the Federal Processor on or before March 15 of each year.

The deadline for applying for a Tuition Aid Grant from the State of New Jersey, which also requires submission of the FAFSA, is October 1 for incoming freshmen; June 1 for returning students.
Do I have to be admitted to Rutgers before applying for financial aid?
Prospective students who apply for financial aid must also apply for admission and be accepted into a regular degree program at Rutgers University before any consideration or decision on financial aid can be made. However, you should not wait for formal acceptance to Rutgers University to apply for financial aid; apply early for both financial aid and admission.
Filed FAFSA after the priority deadline?
Filing the FAFSA by the priority deadline ensures that you will be considered for all available aid. However, if you filed after the priority filing deadline of March 15, 2013, and are eligible to receive financial aid, an aid package will still be constructed for you. For priority consideration, students must apply for aid each year.
What is the maximum family income cutoff for financial aid?
There is no specific cutoff. Each family's financial situation is different.
What factors are considered in determining financial aid?
Variables, such as family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, and asset information are included in the calculation of a student's financial need.
Do I need to submit copies of my family's federal tax returns to the Office of Financial Aid?
We will request copies of all required documents after your FAFSA is initially reviewed. Do not submit any documents to our office unless we have specifically requested you do so.
Do I need a separate application for a Student Loan? For a Parent Loan?
No. You only need to submit a FAFSA to be considered for a Direct Student Loan. If eligible, you will be notified to complete an electronic master promissory note.

If your parent would like to apply for a Direct Parent Loan, contact our office and request a Direct PLUS application packet, which includes an amount request/refund release form and an application/promissory note.
How do I apply for Work-Study?
There is no separate application required to apply for work-study. You must complete the FAFSA by the priority filing deadline and demonstrate financial need. After being notified of the work-study award, eligible students must complete a Job Application.
What if my family circumstances change after I apply?
If your situation changes after filing the FAFSA because of unusual circumstances, contact the Office of Financial Aid. You may submit an appeal with appropriate supporting documentation.
Is there aid available for summer session and how do I apply?
Yes. Limited funding is available. Summer aid applications are available online at http://studentaid.rutgers.edu beginning on April 1.
Can part-time students receive financial aid?
Yes, however, a student must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis to be eligible to receive student loans. NJ grants and scholarships are generally awarded only to full-time students.
Can I receive financial aid from RU to attend a study-abroad program?
Yes. Our office will assist eligible students in making the necessary arrangements. Please keep in mind that procedures for study abroad take additional time and planning.
Where can I find information about scholarships?
Visit our homepage and click on "Online Services", then on "Helpful Links", finally on "External Scholarship," to access the free FastWeb Scholarship Search web site.
How will an outside scholarship affect my financial aid award from Rutgers?
Each recipient of federal student aid has a calculated financial need; and the combination of all sources of aid cannot exceed this need figure. It may be necessary to reduce your financial aid, especially loans, if an outside scholarship arrives after our aid offer.
What will happen to my financial aid award if I drop a course or withdraw from the University?
If your tuition is adjusted because you drop a course, it may be necessary to reduce your financial aid. If you totally withdraw from the University during the first 60 percent of the term, your financial aid eligibility must be recalculated.

Dropping courses and withdrawing are academic actions which might have serious financial implications and may affect your future aid eligibility because of failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress. It is your responsibility to understand the effects these actions will have on your financial aid award.
Does RU offer a tuition payment plan?
Yes. Visit the Student Accounting Services website at studentabc.rutgers.edu for additional information.
Will I get a new bill if there are changes in my registration, financial aid, dining or housing?
Students will only receive one term bill a semester. If you make subsequent changes to your registration, financial aid, dining or housing, you will not receive an adjusted bill through the mail.
What do I do if charges are missing from my term bill?
You must contact the appropriate office using the numbers provided on your term bill. Add the charge to your existing term bill and return it to the university with the applicable payment.
When will I receive my financial aid if my awards are more than my semester charges?
  • Once your awards credit to your student account and exceed the balance due, a refund check will be produced.
  • Checks will be available for pick up with a valid student ID at your local cashier's office at the beginning of the semester.
  • To determine if you have a refund check, you can view your account online at studentabc.rutgers.edu.
What do I do if my financial aid isn't on my term bill?
If you receive an award letter subsequent to the date of your term bill, you may adjust your amount due by the amount of aid offered. You can also view your award online at studentaid.rutgers.edu.
Can work study funds be credited to the term bill?
No. If you accept work-study funds, you work and earn those funds. You receive a check for every two-week pay period in which you work and you may earn up to the amount of listed under Federal Work Study Program on your award letter.